Follow by Email

Friday, February 13, 2015

mistakes, I've made a few.


A few weeks ago we hit upon a post-Empire American  furniture bonanza... From different sources... Even an unexpected source.

While we were dealing the deal on another cupboard, the homeowner let slip that their daughter is moving and her stuff is in that trailer right there in the driveway .  "Is that stuff for sale? Can we see it?"

Yes and yes. 
When the guy lifted the latch on the trailer door, it was as if the gates of Heaven opened. 

A post-empire American buffet in all its stately sturdy curvy glory stood in front of us.  It was beautiful. It was in bad shape. 

"I can fix it," said my post-surgical husband.
"You can't lift it," I chimed in.
"I can lift it, " said the guy.
"Sold!" JR and I said in unison.

So the guy and I hoisted that beast up into our pick-up.

After the much needed repairs and rebuilding, JR re-finished the top. The rest of the finish was not so nice, so,
I painted it.  

Being super excited about the New MMS European Colors, I opted for "Marzipan." We would select a different paint for the drawers, since so much had to be rebuilt and I didn't want chipping in all the wrong places.

The buffet got a good cleaning, and an even better sanding. The varnish was disintegrating before my eyes, so I figured it didn't matter if I was out of bonding agent.   I applied a coat of straight Marzipan milk paint.

The next morning, it looked like this:



After sanding, it looked like this:
   

And I wondered if I'd made a big mistake in my haste to paint without the bonding agent.

The finish was a little TOO dramatic for my customer base, so I put on my thinking cap. I layered some chalk paint over the top, which did two things. The chalk paint adhered to the places that the milk paint did not, and also, as I was painting, it pulled some chips of milk paint off, which mixed with the chalk paint and gave it a delicious texture. My hunch was that when it dried and I sanded it, it would loosen up even more of that milk paint in a few spots. Make sense?

My hunch was right. The result was this amazing chippy, texture-y finish that is to DIE for! A good application of clear wax sealed the deal.


Changed out the wood knobs for some vintage glass knobs and we have ourselves a very, very cool sideboard with a beveled mirror shelf that is loaded with storage and well, it's just perfect.



Coffee Station?  Bar? Kitchen storage? Baby's room?  

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery. " 
-James Joyce



No comments: